Friday, February 5, 2010

1st Toe Up Sock Class

Last night was my first toe up sock class.  I was a bit overwhelmed when I first got to the shop.  Not only did we have our class (of 4 students), but it was open knit-in and a knit-along.  The shop is TINY and it was packed.  I surprisingly tuned all of the "background" noise out and focused on our teacher (Bobbi) and what I was doing.  She is an awesome teacher!!!  She doesn't freak out if you do something wrong, just looks at it and shows you how to fix it.  And she explains stuff several different ways until you "get it".

It was a little weird using circular needles, at one point I had ALL of my stitches on ONE needle...ooops, Bobbi fixed it.  Dropped some stitches, Bobbi helped me get 'em back on.  The cast on was really neat, it's called Judy's Magic Cast On.  This cast on is in the Toe Up book by Wendy Johnson.  Looking at the pictures, it looked a little intimidating, but Bobbi showed us how to do it.  Then she went to each student and made sure we knew how to do it.  By the time I left the class, I was two rounds short of having a finished toe.  Of course when I got home, I finished the last two rounds.  I noticed that my stitches were pretty tight compared to one student's.  I "tried it on" when I got home.  It's a little small but I'm hoping there will be enough "give" that it'll work out.  I'm glad I have small feet.

Today during lunch I started the foot part of the sock.  It's difficult to see, but we're doing ribbing on the top part of the sock.  This picture doesn't do the yarn (Plymouth Yarn's Happy Feet Color #26) justice either.  It's really a gorgeous color.



I have two weeks to get the foot part done.  So you know what I'll be doing during my lunch hour!  I'm also thinking this will be nice to work on during the Super Bowl, with breaks during the commercials.  I saw some previews for the Super Bowl commercials.  There is one about "casual Fridays or casual work days", it made me go "EEEWWW" but if obviously got my attention b/c I'm blogging to you about it. 

1 comment:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Color me impressed!!! It looks great!!! And I didn't realize that you were using 2 separate needles. I just assumed you would use 1 set of circs withe the long connector. hmm.... You are doing great!!

Nice bag in the back ground! :)