Monday, June 28, 2010

Mid-Year Review

Time to see how I'm doing on my goals for this year.  Some areas I'm doing good in, but there is room for improvement in others.  All-in-all the year has been going pretty good so far.

Stashbusting Goals:
  • Use at least 150 yards of stash - so far I've used 61.50 yards.  I don't think I'll make 150, but it's feasible to get 100 yards.
  • Keep buying to a minimum. - Fabric buying has been kept to a minimum, but I've bought way too much yarn!
  • Add less yardage than I use; does not include BOMs (Cobblestone Lane and Vintage Memories).  - So far I've added 35.75 yards.  It's not a lot less than what I've used, but it IS less.
  • Items on my “want list”:
    • Judy L’s Weekend Quilts - Bought
    • Judy Martin’s Stellar Quilts – Bought
    • Looking Back FQ bundle – Bought
    • Pure FQ bundle - adding for 2nd half
    • Lollipop (maybe jelly roll or layer cake) - adding for 2nd half
    • Park Avenue - adding for 2nd half
    • Paris in the Fall quilt kit - adding for 2nd half - already pre-ordered
  • Move out enough fabric in closet/cabinet so I can move fabric from under sewing table in. - One pile has been moved to the closet and cabinet.  There is one rubbermaid and a lot of FQ bundles still under the sewing table.
  • Re-fold fabric to better utilize room in closet/cabinet. – Cabinet done.  I still need to tackle the closet.
  • Quilt/Finish 13 quilts (particularly tops made prior to 2010) - Five quilts are complete, as well as 7 pillowcases.  At the beginning of the year my goal was to quilt a top every month.  I decided I'd rather concentrate more on finishing WIPs and starting new projects during the summer so I'll get back to quilting flimsies in the fall/winter.
  • Make at least 1 donation quilt a month. - With my slow progress on tops, I think this was a little unrealistic, but I am currently working on a QOV and think I'll be donating Grape Jam also.
  • Work on at least 3 kits/PIGS (projects in grocery sacks). - I am currently finishing up Grape Jam.  I need to focus more on this during the second half of the year to help clean out the closet more.
  • Make more quilts from books/patterns that I have, particularly: - I've been doing pretty good on this, although all of them items below are individual patterns.  I need to use some book patterns in the second half.  
    • Morning Splash (Judy LaQuidara’s QAL) - currently working on the borders
    • Jelly & Jam pattern - need to add the final border
    • Birdseye pattern - flimsie finished
    • Claire handbag pattern - working on the lining 
  • Make more “simple” and quick quilts (they don’t all have to be complex) - I think this would help me use up stash and fulfill the donation quilts; so need to think about some small quilts
  • Make table runner (home) and wallhanging (work) for Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, and Easter/spring - I made a Valentine's Day wallhanging
  • Learned how to do mitered corners – He Loves My Daisies
  • Continue learning how to knit. - Finish two sweaters and two pair of socks
  • Make pair of socks – Completed two pair
  • Finish veetee sweater – Done 1/25/10 
  • Only buy yarn for a specific project….no room for a yarn stash!! - Failed miserably, but I'm trying to keep it in check now.  At least the majority of the yarn was bought for a specific project...now I just need to figure out how to knit faster to use some of it up!  LYS has a sale in July that I want to check out, otherwise I need to stay away!
 Personal Goals:

  • Continue exercising every day and eating right - I need to improve, especially eating smaller portions again.
  • Keep my a1c down to under 5.9 - May result: 5.6!!! 
  • Participate in the CellCom Mini Marathon (2.62 miles) at Lambeau Field - finished in 33 min 45 sec
  • Go through the boxes (at least 1 a month) in the basement and consolidate or donate/throw out what I don’t want. - I've pulled some things out for donation, but it hasn't been monthly.  Vacation is coming up and hopefully can work on this more.

1 comment:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Your doing great!!! Keep it up!! Except the yarn buying... Stop that!! ;)